A génoise cake batter is used. The flavour is similar to, but somewhat lighter than, sponge cake. Traditional recipes include very finely ground nuts, usually almonds. A variation uses lemon zest, for a pronounced lemony taste.
After much pressure from my 8 year old sons, I decided to make the lemon variety.
- 2 eggs
- 100g caster sugar
- 75g unsalted butter
- 100g plain flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 lemon, juiced and zested
- 5 tablespoons icing sugar for decoration
Prep: 1 hour 20 mins | Cook: 10 mins
- In a large bowl blend eggs and sugar add butter and blend well. On low speed, blend in flour, baking powder, lemon and
- Cover bowl with towel and let sit for one hour.
- Preheat oven to 190 C / Gas mark 5 and butter and flour madeleine moulds. Whisk mixture then spoon into moulds till 3/4 full. Bake 10 minutes. Remove from moulds and cool. Dust with icing sugar.
Happy baking xx