Recipe share of a scrumptious Golden Syrup cake


So it's Sunday and not wanting to break with tradition too much (I made lasagne for dinner instead of a full roast) I like to make a proper pudding.

I love Nigella's self saucing toffee pudding and her chocolate pudding which also features in Nigel Slater's Real Food. But this day I was thinking something sticky with treacle or syrup maybe... 

I came across this recipe for Golden Syrup cake on the Caked Crusader's blog and having only just opened a new pouring bottle I knew what I was going to do...

Don't be alarmed that this recipe uses a whole bottle of syrup. The taste isn't overly syrupy and not as sweet as you might think, but the last drizzle of syrup over the warm cake straight from the oven just finishes it off for me... perfection!

We enjoyed about a quarter of the cake between four of us and drowned it in homemade custard.... Which means I still have some left and have had a piece tonight, but alas, will finish it tomorrow.

Recipe taken from The Caked Crusader


Ingredients

225g unsalted butter
225g light muscovado sugar
450g golden syrup, plus additional 4 tablespoons for pouring
450g self raising flour
2 eggs
300ml milk


Method

Preheat the oven to 160°C/fan oven 140°C/325°F/gas mark 3.
Line a 30cm springform round tin with baking paper.  

Place the butter, sugar and syrup in a saucepan and heat gently, stirring occasionally until all the ingredients are melted and combined.

Leave to cool for 10 minutes or so.

In a large bowl, beat together the flour, eggs and milk.  It will look pale, lumpy and desperately unappetising at this point!

Pour the syrup mix in and beat until lump free and smooth.

Pour the batter (it will be runny) into the prepared baking tin and bake for approximately 50-60 minutes. It’s ready when a skewer inserted into the cake comes out clean.

Leave to cool on a wire rack – still in the tin – for 5 minutes, then drizzle the extra syrup over the top.

Leave to cool completely.

Serve on its own or with thick cream, or like me, with homemade custard for pudding.

Happy baking xx

Comments

  1. It is a great cake, isn't it! I was amazed that it isn't too sweet. I really want a golden syrup cake now...luckily, I am planning a steamed golden syrup sponge for Mr CC's birthday next week!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts